Forks Over Knives Herbed Vegan Matzo Ball Soup
Matzo is one of my favorite things next to the matzo ball. Nothing is better than matzo ball soup on the Jewish holidays and certainly if you aren’t feeling well.
Herbed Vegan Matzo Ball Soup
- 5 matzo crackers
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1½ tsp ground flaxseeds
- 1½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium potato
- ½ cup button mushrooms
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cauliflower
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- 2 tbsp mild miso paste
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- To make matzo balls, preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the matzo crackers in the bowl of a food processor and blend to a crumb-like texture.
- Add 1 cup hot water, the cooked quinoa, the flaxseed, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and baking soda. Pulse to a dough-like consistency. If the dough is too sticky, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Take 1½ tablespoons of dough and form it into a ball. Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake matzo balls 20 to 30 minutes, until the outsides are nicely browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the soup, in a large pot combine onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potato, mushrooms, and ½ cup water. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions turn translucent.
- Add vegetable stock, broccoli and cauliflower, dill, miso, vinegar, and the remaining pepper. Bring to boiling; then simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add matzo balls to soup. Serve hot.
Forks Over Knives – The Recipes contains over 160 whole-food, plant-based recipes, with new recipes added every week! Download it now on the App Store