This is another great vegan soup recipe I found at https://www.simplyquinoa.com/lemon-garlic-wild-rice-soup/. Simply Quinoa is an amazing website created to empower others into a healthy lifestyle. I could spend hours there looking at recipes and articles. Check it out. https://www.simplyquinoa.com/
I changed the grain in this soup to a more healthy grain. I used wheat berry. This caused a lot of the liquid to be absorbed and because of that I only got a quart of the soup. I may try this with bulgur instead of maybe even quinoa.
She explains how sautéing the veggies first adds so much more flavor to the soup and I have to agree. All of the flavors she used worked really well to give this soup extra depth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion , about 1/2 a medium onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots , about 2 medium
- 1 cup sliced celery , about 3 ribs
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest , from 1 large lemon
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup wild rice *I used wheat berry
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk *I used unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh spinach or kale , optional
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute until the carrots start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the seasonings and zest and cook another 2 – 3 minutes.
Stir in the wild rice and vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce to simmer, cooking until rice has cooked, about 30 – 40 minutes.
Once the rice is cooked and soft, stir in the milk, lemon juice, and spinach. Stir until spinach is wilted.
Serve immediately and enjoy! Soup can be frozen and reheated as desired.