A Swinging Saturday Night

A Swinging Saturday Night

I must say i had an eventful Saturday night. Not exactly like my old days at Jugs and Strokers Drinking, trying to play pool and hanging with my friends until 4am. However, based on my life lately, this was eventful. The building’s fire alarm went off around 8pm. I was in my pjs ready for bed. Usually the fire alarm is a false alarm. This time you could smell something funny. You could see a haze of smoke at the end of the building. My aide rocked. She got me up first into my wheelchair. From there we needed to get my dogs. They weren’t so cooperative due to the noise. I certainly wasn’t dressed to leave the apartment so we grabbed a quick jacket to throw over my pjs. The elevator was still running so down we went. I joined about 20 other people from my building exit outside. We are all speculating what is going on. This was my first appearance since the hospital. I saw people I knew in the most unexpected attire. Oh well. After 20 minutes of watching firemen walking in and out of the building, we were told we could go back in. Turns out someone was cleaning their oven.🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️. Guess it was a really dirty oven or they used oven cleaner in a self cleaning oven. Whatever they did it was a first floor unit and smoke hazed through the building. The fireman did explain to us that we shouldn’t leave our units. Obviously, controversial to what we were all doing. He explained that each unit was cemented separated from the adjacent unit. Fire can’t spread from one unit to the next, which I really knew. Safest place is in your own unit. If there was a fire in the hall the door is fire proof and a wet towel underneath to prevent smoke is the right way. For someone like me, I should call the fire department and tell them my unit number. Normally elevators aren’t supposed to work. If there was really a fire and danger, they’d carry me out (and save the dogs). Well that makes it easier because if there really was a problem, we definitely took a while to get out of the apartment. Thankfully, there was no fire. No one was hurt. I got back into bed and the rest of my night was uneventful.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: