I was watching Sweet Home Alabama the other day. It is one of my favorite romantic comedies.
It came to the part where he says “you’ve got to be shitting me” to which she replies “I’ve never understood that expression but no I’m not shitting you”. I never understood that expression either. It got me thinking about other expressions I don’t get.
- Get bent. My mother says this all the time. I know it means get real but how did this become an expression?
- Hand to god. What does that mean and more importantly what does it prove? Thank
- Heaven’s to Betsy. Ok I’m at a complete loss on this one. What does this even mean and who is Betsy?
- Speak to the hand. Who came up with this one. I’m ignoring you so I’m blocking you with my hands and then I can’t hear you??? I don’t get how this one started.
- Truth be told. Are we just lying the rest of the time?
- Up shit’s creek. Where are you living that they named a creek shit? And would you swim in it?
- In the dog house. My dogs live pretty good. Being in their house isn’t a bad thing.
- Cat got your tongue. Cats don’t have opposable thumbs to grab your tongue what would they want with it anyway? Unless they are secretly trying to take over the world.
- Eat humble pie. I love pie is this one calorie free?
- Raining cats and dogs. As long as no animals were hurt during this storm
Ok enough nonsense for the day. Happy hump day.