If you’ve never heard of Jackfruit, it is a vegan meat alternative. It is grown on trees in the fig, mulberry species family, native to southwest India.
According to Wikipedia:
The flesh of the jackfruit is starchy and fibrous and is a source of dietary fiber. The flavor is comparable to a combination of apple, pineapple, mango, and banana
I’ve come across pulled pork type recipes for Jackfruit but haven’t tried them. I finally have the ingredients to make this dish from Forks over Knives.
Chipotle Jackfruit Tacos
• 1 medium potato
• 1 medium onion
• 2 cloves fresh garlic
• 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
• 1 14oz. can water-packed jackfruit
• 3 tbsp taco seasoning
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• ¼ tsp minced chipotle in adobo sauce
• 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 12 corn tortillas
• 2 cups shredded lettuce
• 1 medium tomato
• 2 stalks scallions
• 1 avocado
• In a skillet over medium-low heat, sauté the potatoes, onions, and garlic in ¼ cup water for 10 minutes or until the onions are tender.
• Add the diced tomatoes, jackfruit, taco seasoning, paprika, and chipotle in adobo sauce, and continue cooking for 10 minutes until the juice from the tomatoes is absorbed.
• Using the back of the spatula, break the jackfruit into smaller pieces. Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice.
• Place half of the tortillas in a pile on a heated non-stick skillet. Warm through and quickly wrap in a damp cloth to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Conversely, wrap tortillas in aluminum foil lined with a damn paper towel, and warm in a 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
• To assemble the tacos, place the filling in the center of each, and top with the lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, and avocado, and serve immediately.