After I spent hours on the phone getting my van taken care of, they finally came to tow it to a place on Long Island instead of New Jersey. I was mentally exhausted. As I am coming back into my condo the phone is ringing. It was my infusion place. The authorization for Rituxan isn’t going to be overnight and my infusion scheduled for Wednesday was canceled. All I could do was laugh.
One problem solved another one starts. This one I at least expected. I may have to stay on Ocrevus if the authorization becomes an issue. I just feel safer with a drug that has a 15 year history and doesn’t link even the slightest to breast cancer. Call me crazy. The two drugs are very similar. I just felt more comfortable with Rituxan. I have enough on my plate dealing with MS. It is just one way I feel I have some degree of control is by choosing the drug. Rituxan also costs much less than Ocrevus. However to prove to the insurance company why I’m taking a drug that isn’t approved for MS is an uphill battle I may not win. I may be taking Ocrevus anyway.
It is unfortunate that after 21 years a patient can’t have any say with an insurance company of how to treat their disease. I’ve done my research. My doctor is okay with my decision. Yet it won’t be approved because the FDA didn’t approve it for MS. There is a lot of documentation on Rituxan for MS but it probably won’t matter. I don’t have time to put things into appeals. If they can’t get the authorization I will have my doctor change the orders back to Ocrevus. Just sucks that the patient wishes don’t matter.